Public tele-lighting in Milan Smart City 2017
The SELTA solution used in the modernization project of the public tele-lighting in Milan, the first large Italian city fully illuminated by LEDs, is based on an innovative supervision and control system: a replicable solution representing a step forward in the modernization of cities. It is no longer the city that adapts to the technological system but the system that is modeled according to the needs of the city.
- The management of light points is handled in homogeneous groups (geographic area, type of roads) managed independently and according to the characteristics of the group. The use of HIGH-PRECISION PHOTOCELLS MASTER allows control of the early ignition of lighting systems in the event of low brightness, for example in the case of thunderstorms or clouds.
- The supervisory system has an ASTRONOMICAL CALENDAR georeferenced and customized, providing the hours of sunset and astronomical sunrise. The calendar, transferred to the peripheral units (SELTA RTU), allows the programming of switching on and off the lamps according to the following modes: operation with the only astronomical clock, astronomical clock operation and twilight master probe, operation with the only twilight probe master.
- SAFETY LIGHTING, designed to illuminate roads, squares, parks and gardens, follows the ignition and shutdown criteria dictated by the local objective brightness conditions (astronomical clock).
- SCENOGRAPHIC LIGHTING, intended for the valorization of historical and monumental assets and of the most significant architectural elements, is managed according to criteria established and set by the operator.
- The system allows you to enter OFFSET TIMES to delay or anticipate the switches on and off proposed by the astronomical and / or twilight switches.
- PREDICTIVE MAINTENANCE is provided by monitoring the leakage current.
In the context of the City of Milan's improvement goals, the Municipality has taken into consideration the modernization of the public lighting network in order to optimize energy consumption and provide citizens with a more reliable and secure service. Once selected the multi utility partner the project management evaluated different technological solutions potentially suited to innovate the Milan lighting network. The A2A multi utility has managed the entire project during 2017 and SELTA has been selected with a technological proposal fully adhering to the required level of innovation and high performance, typical of a telecontrol system.
The SELTA system is able to accommodate new services optimized for management through scalable architecture that can grow by integrating new hardware and software to meet new needs, protecting existing investments. The architecture provides a SCADA / Front End Supervision system redundantly connected and connected via a LAN to a server station that performs data storage and WEB access to connect 4 HMI remote workstations. The LAN also has 2 central and peripheral development and configuration locations and 4 local HMI stations. The solution is complemented by a system for managing the availability service with support for sms, e-mail, and voice messages.
The benefits of the SELTA solution are many. First of all, 51.8% ENERGY SAVINGS, equivalent to 11033 TEPs (equivalent tones of oil), which enabled A2A to access Energy Efficiency Certificates (TTEs or White Certificates) and to improve environmental sustainability of its activities. The Municipality of Milan has distinguished itself as the promoter of an eco-sustainable project that, by optimizing the use of energy, contributes to PROTECT THE ENVIRONMENT and the citizens. The city is now safer, thanks to the greater reliability of the public lighting network where new LED light bulbs are smartly telecontrolled, with a high life expectancy of 10,000 LESSED BULBS.